Different settings - Similar Image

Picture of bulb 1
1/2500, f/1.8, ISO 100

f/4 bulb picture
1/500, f/4, ISO 100

Hi

Here I will explain how similar images can be produced with different settings. 

For most of us we will be playing around with shutter speed and aperture to take a picture. Not all these changes will produce a different result. There will however be minor changes to the images. 

Look at these two similar images. I've only changed shutter speed and aperture for both these images while keeping ISO and all other settings same for both the pictures. 

In the first picture f/1.8 allowed more light to enter, hence I've used a higher shutter speed 1/2500 to generate an image similar to the one where shutter speed was much slower at 1/500 because aperture was set at f/4 which let less light in as compared to f/1.8. 

By adjusting the aperture and shutter speed I controlled the exposure of the image. However I did mention that there will be minor changes. 

Look carefully at both the pictures. The holder side of the bulb is more in focus where f is set to 4. In f/1.8 holder area is blurred. This is called depth of field and I will be writing about it later. 

I hope you understood how aperture can change the exposure of the image and also how we can use different settings to generate similar images. 

Kunal 

Comments